MenuMENU

Press Releases > ACMT Addresses Use of Chelation for Metal Toxicity - January 26, 2012

ACMT Addresses Use of Chelation for Metal Toxicity - January 26, 2012

posted on 6:23 AM, June 24, 2014
Click here for a .pdf of this press release.
 
PRWeb ebooks - Another online visibility tool from PRWeb
The American College of Medical Toxicology Addresses Use of Chelation for Metal Toxicity
 
ACMT, an organization of physicians specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of poisoned 
patients, recognizes a national trend toward use of chelation for a vast array of disorders and 
physical complaints. leading clinicians and scientists will meet at the CDC in Atlanta on Feb 29, 
2012 to discuss the appropriate use of chelation therapy.
 
Atlanta, Georgia (PRWEB) January 26, 2012 -- Medical toxicologists, who specialize in the diagnosis 
and management of human poisoning, have noted a growing trend toward inappropriate diagnosis and 
treatment of metal toxicity. An upcoming scientific conference will examine the evidence for use of 
chelation therapy, addressing accepted uses for treatment of acute and chronic metal poisoning and 
off-label uses to treat disorders such as autism and vascular disease. For more information about 
the American College of Medical Toxicology and the conference, Use & Misuse of Metal Chelation 
Therapy, visit: http://acmt.net.>
 
Chelators are medications used to assist in the removal of metals from the body. Chelators- which 
include DMPS, DMSA, and EDTA-can be helpful in the treatment of persons who experience a large 
exposure to a metal that may result in illness. The diagnosis of "metal poisoning" is frequently 
made without specific symptoms or on the basis of incorrectly performed or interpreted laboratory 
testing. Long courses of chelation are then prescribed, resulting in high cost to patients and the 
potential for serious side effects as a result of the treatment.
 
The diagnosis of metal poisoning is complex. Not all potentially toxic metals are problematic at 
even moderately elevated concentrations in blood, urine, or other tissue. Everyone is exposed daily 
to metals in the environment, but typical low level exposures to most metals (including arsenic and 
mercury) are not dangerous.The simple detection of a metal in the body at concentrations outside of 
a reference range provided by a laboratory is not adequate to diagnose poisoning. Because many of 
the signs and symptoms associated with metal poisoning are vague and nonspecific, many patients 
attribute their illness to metal poisoning and undergo potentially dangerous and expensive 
treatment that has little to no chance of success.
###
 
Page 2/2
If you have any questions regarding information in these press releases please contact the company 
listed in the press release. Our complete disclaimer appears here - PRWeb ebooks - Another online 
visibility tool from PRWeb
Contact Information
Anne-Michelle Ruha, MD
American College of Medical Toxicology  http://acmt.net/>
6235336340