Position Statement: Poison Information and Treatment Systems
American College of Emergency Physicians
Int J Med Toxicol 2001; 4(2): 18
The American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) believes that high-quality poison treatment and information should be available to all and will be enhanced by:
- Availability of nationally certified regional poison information centers to the public and health care practitioners for:
- Reporting of poisoning cases for epidemiologic purposes
- Consultation, when appropriate, with a regional poison information center or medical toxicologist
- Educational programs for the public and for health care practitioners in the prevention and treatment of poisoning
- Continued development of centers for poison treatment whose goal is excellence in clinical care, education, and research.
- Use of centers for poison treatment, where available, for serious or unusual poisonings.
[American College of Emergency Physicians. Poison information and treatment systems. Ann Emerg Med. March 2001;37:370.]
Copyright 1999-2003, American College of Medical Toxicology.