Applying for a Medical Toxicology Fellowship
All medical toxicologists must complete a fellowship in medical toxicology. Fellowships are approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and consist of two years of training.
- Number of fellowships: 28 medical toxicology fellowship training programs in the United States
- Number of fellowship spots: Typically, about 80 fellows in training at any one time.
- Length of fellowship training: Two years
- Primary Specialties that apply: Emergency Medicine, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, and Preventative Medicine.
- Board certification: Permitted to take the medical toxicology board certification examination after completing a two-year ACGME accredited Medical Toxicology fellowship. The board exam is administered every 2 years in the fall
How to choose a fellowship?
- Fellowship programs are typically small and diverse in what they offer.
- Although all accredited programs must adhere to a core curriculum, some programs place varied emphasis on research, clinical care, addiction medicine, scholarly activities, or administration.
- Some offer additional experiences (international opportunities) or degrees (MPH).
- For primary trained Emergency Physicians, the emergency medicine shift expectation varies from program to program.
- Certain programs will require fellows to work shifts in the emergency department as part of their fellowship program, while others do not require it and/or allow for moonlighting.
How do I apply for a Medical Toxicology Fellowship?
- Medical Toxicology Fellowships now participate in the NRMP Match.
- The match date is on the second Wednesday of November for programs starting the following July.
- Interested applicants are encouraged to apply and interview early in order to participate in the Match.
- Application requirements: This varies by program. Applications have to be requested directly from each program, and instructions are typically found on each program’s website. However, most programs will require a current CV, multiple letters of recommendation, and a personal statement.
Resources about fellowship program requirements and deadlines:
- View our directory of Fellowship Programs and contact individual programs.
- Click here for a printable directory of all Medical Toxicology Fellowship Programs (including applicant eligibility).
- Fellowship Application and Match Dates 2019-2022
Questions about fellowships?