This section formed in 2017 to promote awareness of gender inequality and its implications for women and men in medicine. Our goal is to address these inequalities through various measures including mentorship, promotion, and regular discussions. The group is inclusive of both women and men, and all are ACMT members are welcome.
Follow Us on Twitter! @WomenInTox
Women in Toxicology (WIT) aims to inspire, sponsor and mentor women in the field of Medical Toxicology and contribute to achieving gender-equality. After recognizing the lack of access to peers and mentors to help guide career decision-making, WIT’s founding members worked to develop an inclusive consortium of invested women and men to support gender-equality in Medical Toxicology. The group was founded in 2017 and had their first meeting at the American College of Medical Toxicology Annual Scientific Meeting that year.
The group is inspired and counseled by other national organizations, including FeminEM, Academy for Women in Academic Emergency Medicine (AWAEM), AAMC’s Group on Women in Medicine and Science (GWIMS). By advocating for women and creating tools for career development, these groups have been successful in providing guidance for professional advancement, improving personal and professional career satisfaction and increasing female speakers at regional and national conferences.
- Develop a consortium of both women and men to support gender-equality in medical toxicology
- Expand mentorship and sponsorship for women in medical toxicology
- Break-down barriers in the professional advancement of women in academic medicine
- Assist and support men and women in the mission of achieving gender-equality
- Promote women’s achievements in toxicology in part by increasing the number of female award recipients and speakers at regional/national conferences
- Enhance recruitment of female medical students and residents to medical toxicology
- Finding Your Path: Tips for Success in a Career in Academic Medicine; Dr. Kavita Babu
- Virtual Book Club: Discussion of “Women Don’t Ask” by Linda Babcock and Sara Laschever
- ACMT ASM 2018: Gender Bias and Mentorship with Luanne Thorndyke
- Virtual Webinar “Raising Women’s Voices in Medicine” with Esther Choo
- WIT at NAACT 2018: CV development and review workshop
- February 27 2019 at 1PM: Virtual Book Club: discussion of “Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg” by Irin Carmon and Shana Knizhnik
- WIT at ACMT 2019
Meetings of Interest
- Sept 15-17, 2019: FeminEM Idea Exchange 2019, NYC
- Sept 23-27, 2019: NAACT 2019 Women in Toxicology Meeting, Nashville TN, date & time TBD
A new monthly interview feature spotlighting the career, interests and achievements of a brilliant female toxicologist.
Women-in-Tox Leadership Committee
Ayrn O’Connor, MD
Meghan Spyres, MD
Elissa Moore, DO
Jennifer Love, MD