This section formed in 2017 to promote awareness of gender inequality and its implications for women and men in medicine. Our goal is to address these inequalities through various measures including mentorship, promotion, and regular discussions. The group is inclusive of both women and men, and all are ACMT members are welcome.
Follow Us on Twitter! @WomenInTox
Women in Toxicology (WIT) aims to inspire, sponsor and mentor to women in the field of Medical Toxicology. After recognizing the lack of access to peers and mentors to help guide career decision-making, WIT’s founding members worked to develop an inclusive consortium of invested women and men to support women and gender-equality in Medical Toxicology. The group was founded at the 2017 American College of Medical Toxicology annual scientific meeting.
The group has been inspired and counseled by other emergency medicine professional development groups, including FeminEM and Academy for Women in Academic Emergency Medicine (AWAEM). By advocating for women and creating tools for career development, these groups have been successful in providing guidance for professional advancement, improving personal and professional career satisfaction and increasing female speakers at regional and national conferences.
- To develop a consortium of women and men to support women in medical toxicology
- To expand mentorship and sponsorship for women in medical toxicology
- To address barriers to professional advancement for women in academic medicine
- To promote women’s achievements in toxicology
- To increase the number of female speakers at regional/national conferences
- To increase the number of female award recipients
- To enhance recruitment of female medical students and residents to medical toxicology
- Virtual Book Club: Discussion of “Women Don’t Ask” by Linda Babcock and Sara Laschever
- ACMT ASM 2018: Gender Bias and Mentorship with Luanne Thorndyke
- Virtual Webinar “Raising Women’s Voices in Medicine” with Esther Choo
- WIT at NAACT 2018: CV development and review workshop
- February 27 2019 at 1PM: Virtual Book Club: discussion of “Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg” by Irin Carmon and Shana Knizhnik
- WIT at ACMT 2019
Meetings of Interest
- Sept 15-17, 2019: FeminEM Idea Exchange 2019, NYC
- Sept 23-27, 2019: NAACT 2019 Women in Toxicology Meeting, Nashville TN, date & time TBD
A new monthly interview feature spotlighting the career, interests and achievements of a brilliant female toxicologist.
Women-in-Tox Leadership Committee
Ayrn O’Connor, MD
Meghan Spyres, MD
Elissa Moore, DO
Jennifer Love, MD