Several ToxIC Registry abstracts were presented at NACCT in Vancouver, and submissions are in for ASM 2018.
Review manuscripts published in 2017
- Farrugia LA, Rhyee SH, Calello DP, Campleman SL, Riederer AM, Malashock HR, Pizon A, Wiegand T, Wax PM, Brent J. The Toxicology Investigators Consortium Case Registry-the 2016 Experience. Toxicology Investigators Consortium Study Group. J Med Toxicol. 2017 Aug 1.
- Finkelstein Y1, Goel G, Hutson JR, Armstrong J, Baum CR, Wax P, Brent J; Toxicology Investigators Consortium (ToxIC). Drug Misuse in Adolescents Presenting to the Emergency Department. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2017 Jul;33(7):451-456.
- Heise CW, Malashock H, Brooks DE. A review of vilazodone exposures with focus on serotonin syndrome effects. Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2017 Nov;55(9):1004-1007.
- Ho JH, Leikin JB, Dargan PI, Archer JRH, Wood DM, Brent J. Metal-on-Metal Hip Joint Prostheses: a Retrospective Case Series Investigating the Association of Systemic Toxicity with Serum Cobalt and Chromium Concentrations. J Med Toxicol. 2017 Sep 12.
- Monte AA, Calello DP, Gerona RR, Hamad E, Campleman SL, Brent J, Wax P, Carlson RG; ACMT Toxicology Investigators Consortium (ToxIC). Characteristics and Treatment of Patients with Clinical Illness Due to Synthetic Cannabinoid Inhalation Reported by Medical Toxicologists: A ToxIC Database Study. J Med Toxicol. 2017 Apr 10. PubMed PMID: 28397128.
- Rasimas JJ, Smolcic EE, Sinclair CM. Themes and trends in intentional self-poisoning: Perspectives from critical care toxicology. Psychiatry Res. 2017 Sep;255:304-313. PubMed PMID 28601000
- Ruha AM, Kleinschmidt KC, Greene S, Spyres MB, Brent J, Wax P, Padilla-Jones A, Campleman S; ToxIC Snakebite Study Group. The Epidemiology, Clinical Course, and Management of Snakebites in the North American Snakebite Registry. J Med Toxicol. 2017 Oct 3. PubMed PMID:28975491
- Spyres MB, Ruha AM, Kleinschmidt K, Vohra R, Smith E, Padilla-Jones A. Epidemiology and clinical outcomes of snakebite in the elderly: a ToxIC database study. Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2017 Jul 13:1-5. PubMed PMID: 2870302
We have implemented the ToxIC Champions Program to enhance site coordination and communication. Many thanks to our Champions Meghan Spyres, Gillian Beauchamp, Melissa Vandenberg, and Evan Schwarz.
As a reminder, the registry is composed not only of the core data collection instrument, but of a number of prospective registries which were set up to answer compelling questions in Medical Toxicology:
- The Extracorporeal Therapies (ECT) Registry, PI: Joshua King
- Lipid Emulsion Therapy Registry, PI: Michael Levine
- Natural Toxins Registry, PI: Rob Hendrickson
- North American Snakebite Registry (NASBR), PI: Michelle Ruha
- New! Pediatric Marijuana and Opioid Registry, PI: Yaron Finkelstein
- Prescription Opioids Misuse Registry, PI: Amy Zosel
Coming soon in 2018: Quality Measure Assessment is being built to provide ToxIC the framework to track clinical performance for better third-party reimbursement of consultations. More information to follow soon.
Looking to start doing ToxIC research, or get more involved? Reach out to me, or anyone on the ToxIC leadership team: Diane Calello (firstname.lastname@example.org)
As always, all of this information and more is available on the ToxIC website: www.toxicregistry.org. Check it out!